Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Don't you just LOVE Clorox???


Next time, when you are reaching for that bottle of Clorox bleach to brighten up your whites.... maybe you should give it a little nuzzle of affection....or, dare I say a kiss!

The above engraving and instructions for Bleaching linen were written by John Wily, 1765....in 13 easy steps:

1. Soak linen 36 to 40 hours in warm water, rinse and dry.

2. Soak in lye and cow dung 48 hours.

3. Stretch cloth over the grass in a bleach~yard.

4. Wash off the cow dung.

5. Beat cloth with bat staffs 2 to 3 hours.

6. Place cloth into boiling lye; soak 24 hours.

7. Wash cloth; stretch it over the bleach~green 24 hours.

8. Beat with bat staffs.

9. Repeat the last three steps for 8 to 10 days.

10. Place cloth in buttermilk for 1 or 2 nights.

11. Wash and beat the cloth again, then stretch it over the bleach~green.

12. Sour it again with buttermilk.

13. Repeat the process for another week, until the cloth is white enough.

I would recommend anyone try this at home to see how they make of it... Have fun

and yes, dung=POO.


6 comments:

Vintage said...

Too much for me Rachael! I do admit though to drying my whites on the grass on a nice warm, sunny day. Looks and smells great!

Christine LeFever said...

Ah, the good old days.

Zwee!!!!!!!

Christine LeFever said...

Oh Rachael,

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my beautiful new box by you!!! It is so gorgeous. I'm glad I visited your Etsy store and got the last one!

I also love your beautiful little, old fashioned note replete with perfect handwriting and the little dab of sealing wax, and the candle too!!!

Thank you!

Christine ~ Zwee!!!!!!!!!

Suzanne said...

Ah, clorox. Some days I dream of living in the past...but then again???

Carole said...

Holy cow dung!!!!! Now I'm off to kiss my clorox bottle.
Carole

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

I have a feeling many of us are old souls...why are we so drawn to these earlier times? Gosh, they seem so charming. If I had a time machine to go back...I'd make sure I had access to the time machine every time I had to go to the bathroom, wash my clothes, hide my deodorant and sanitary napkins in, and conveniently disappear to each time a chore needed to be done!

I hate laundry. I realize we are spoiled, with modern machinery and products, that we don't have to use a washboard, or pot of boiling water, making our own soap, wringing, hanging, starching and pressing....

But I never gave a thought to the wondrous power of bleach. Until now. Bleach is my friend...mi amor!

I'll never gripe about the smell of chlorine again.

It's a heck of a lot more refreshing than dung, that's for sure!