Saturday, March 21, 2009

Hair & Paint



Ok~OK!! I give in~ here is a couple pictures of Marguarite's new hair. It took me about 13 hours total, stitching over 2 days to make her wig. I was afraid that I may run out of hair, but managed well~ I have a wee little hank left to keep for another special dollye, about half the diameter of my pinky finger is all! Marguarite stands 52" tall, and I am making her up like the early Mantua Makers' Models of the 18th century. They would send out a life size 'doll' to their clients, made up in their latest fashions, for them to order clothing from.


I made her body like the early Queen Anne type dolls, but of heavy duck instead of wood. Her lower arms are mache, and I have wrapped her upper arms in linen, just like the olde ones. I just love love love her



I made her necklace from gorgeous antique blue glass beads, white hearts they call them, as the bead starts out as a layer of white, with the clear blue wrapped over it. I also made her a set of matching earrings from smaller ones, and early brass bobbles
Here she is with my Emma, 7, so you can see more plainly her H*U*G*E* dollye self! I cant wait to get to sewing for her, but I have other more pressing things...........like getting rid of this U*G*U*L*Y* wall coming down to my studio..............


I have always adored the early murals and work of Rufus Porter...and stencils of Moses Eaton...so have decided to make a little homage to them in my little corner here. I have the base colors blocked in now and am really enjoying myself. It has been a while since I painted a landscape...too long, and I didn't realize how much I really enjoy painting. This is a much bigger scale than my usual miniatures~ wonder what is up with the scale of all my work getting so much bigger??? Whatever it is, I like it!
I hope you all have a wonderful Spring weekend!

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Your new dolly looks like you from the back! Wonder why.....
Can't wait to see your stairway with something on it! Emma is getting so big, I won't know the kids when you come home this summer! Can't wait for that either!!
LY Mom

Julie said...

Hi Rachael, She is beautiful, I hope you show her when she is dressed. I just love your dollies. Your little Emma is pretty adoroble too, I love seeing her with the dolls, what fun she must have. Julie

Lone Pierette said...

I also love,love love her !!
I will keep an eye up for her and your stairway !
hugs, Lone

Lana Manis said...

Wow Rach! Your new dolly is very impressive and beautiful! I don't think she holds a candle to your real life doll though ~ give her a hug for me!
I'm excited to see your new mural... holding my breath... and (im)patiently waiting.....

Have a lovely week!

Rachael Kinnison said...

Thankyou girls :)
I am trying to fit the mural in between dollys and laundry and cooking and the endless task of keeping the children 'busy' on their spring vacation! Its comming along tho~ I painted ships yesterday. It is very interesting painting on rough cement~ more of a dab dab here and there, and painting in circular motions, than smoothly shaded strokes~ but its FUN!
THANKYOU so much for stopping by, and taking the time to write
xoxoxo rachael

Heather said...

Wow-- I cant believe how big that doll is! Until I saw her beside Emma, I had thought perhaps she was around toddler size. woah!

Oh, the mural will be so fun! I have dreams of one day having a dining room and doing a folk art painting on it. First, I'll need the dining room though ;)

And you'll be happy to know that we're making arrangements to rip up the dreadful carpet soon! Going to pick out the new flooring tonight...

Suzanne said...

Both of your dollies are beautiful, especially the one on the right. Can't wait to see some photos of your stairway. I love Rufus Porter murals, I'm sure yours will be amazing!