Saturday, May 15, 2010

Be STILL! My Hearte~

I just couldn't wait to share this early quilt block with you all! The second I saw it, my hearte skipped a beat....it was one of those moments when you see something so spectacular, so special, something that just makes your whole body melt away. Perhaps like Howard Carter felt, as he peered thru the small hole he had chipped into the door of King Tut's tomb back in the 20s or whenever it was.
What a treasure! I go crazy for early prints, so it is really no wonder I am in love with this c1850 single, hand pieced block~ its big! 16" across. Isn't the red block print just wonderful? The blues in the leaves once over painted with yellow, to make green~ now all long faded away save for a few scant spots here and there.

Must have been made from dress scraps~ see how every lil bit was used to piece it in? I could totally see this fabric as a dress~ its the perfect print and shade of red that I am on the hunt for for my big Abby a new dress. It is very hard to find this shade in modern fabrics~ it is just never right~ either too orangy, or to brown.......


I knew if I liked it so much, you all would too~ I hope it inspires you as much as it does me!



3 comments:

Finegan Antiques said...

Rachael,

You have a wonderful eye and incredible luck finding all your lovely treasures. The quilt is spectacular!!!

Enjoy it.

Donna

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

It IS stunning! The perfect red too. What a great find.

Rachael Kinnison said...

THANKYOU Donna & Robin for stopping by! I have always been blessed with an 'early eye' from the time I was in single digit age~ I AM lucky!!!!
xoxoxox rachael