Saturday, July 02, 2011

Anything BUT!! the Lazy Days of Summer~




See? This is what I get! I must apologize for not posting more often, I'm trying to catch up~ but shoosh~ what can I do when my loving children bring me such wonderful 'gifts' all the time? I cant stand frogs.....to say I freaked out when Tressa showed me these, is a gross understatement. Just look at the evil look on her face~ what do I do to deserve such treatment?


We have been so busy this summer~ my to do list is a million miles long, and it is so horribly hot and dry. I think every day this week has been over 100, and we have not had any rain in eons. I took this picture up behind the house week before last~ something I did not need to see so close. There are some spots still smoldering, huge stumps mainly, they can burn for weeks underground, but for the most part, the Track fire has been put out, God Bless the jumpers and all those forestry firefighters!


Hmmm.....perhaps Tressa tortured me with frogs because I have been making her knit with me? could be! This is my first pair of knee high stockings knit from wonderful Noro yarn my Mother sent me, I have found I really am in love with knitting. I will try and refrain from saying obsessed....but, that could be true too. I have found visions of sweaters, and early pinballs entering my mind....along with dollys.....hmmm, perhaps I should knit dollye some stockings? Sounds like a plan!


Life is great, and I am so enjoying being so busy. Theres never a dull moment around here.. Josh is eating Pip's mud cookies(really, made out of dirt!), the goats have gotten out.....I am continually on the hunt for the lone blasted cricket that is living in my windowsill driving me crazy ....its fishing and camping, more fishing and somewhere in there dollys to work on, patiently waiting always, bless their little heartes. My brother & Pa stole away and were here from Washington for a very short day last week~ miss them so much allready. Summer is always filled with road trips! But in all the hustle and bustle, I absolutely l-o-v-e hearing what you all are up to, and take pleasure in the smallest, simplest little details~ I thought you may enjoy some of my favorites~




Early c1840 embossed leather children's shoes~ embossed morocco leather just like what was so commonly used to bind books~ common for books, but not so for shoes!



I love the to look at this 18th c lace and know that someone toiled hours and hours to make it




Love this early 1820 pink and blue roller print girls gown....and of coarse the wearer too ;)



Oh! What a treat! What a feast for the eyes and imagination~ a wee hand carved antique 19th c tortoise shell hair comb, but sized for dollye




I am planing on an entire post about this wonderful 18th c Dresden work kerchief~ discarded because of 'damage' (it has a wonderful darn), and lookie what I discovered in one corner~ (this photo greatly magnified), the embroiderers initials and date, '65~ that's short for 1765!


I hope you all are having a wonderful summer, and have a Happy & Safe 4th of July Holiday. Take a moment to remember where you came from, and where you want to go, and enjoy the ride!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Now I know why you haven't been blogging! Plus I know several miles a day on your treadmill are squashed in there between all your activities!!
LOVE the little comb....why haven't I seen that before??
LY, Mom